Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Touched by Grace

The following words were spoken by my beautiful sister-in-law Linda, on Saturday, in the church where we celebrated Grace's Mass of Resurrection. I asked Linda to write them out for me because they so clearly speak the truth we believe; that LIFE is good, always and everywhere, and that it is always a gift that should be received with love, regardless of the manner in which we were born or the path nature took in the womb, causing handicaps or disabilities. Where there's life, there's hope. Life is good, Life teaches us, Life is of God. 
LINDA'S WORDS...
"Many of you know the song Amazing Grace. One verse states “How precious is Grace that appeared the hour I first believed.” I’m 40 yrs old and have had times in my life when my faith went up and down. “How precious is Grace Elizabeth Donaghy that appeared the hour I first believed.” I believe she was God’s love. I believe she was a reassurance that this world is only temporary. I believe her frail strong body was a Tabernacle. In her profound moments/hours, she knew family. She changed the world. She changed all of us. I know she changed me. For God so loved the world that He sent His only begotten Son… Grace was made in the image of this Son. She was a reflection of the Alpha and the Omega-the beginning and the end. After her long journey began many years ago just like in the story of Horton Hears A Who (through the love of her mom and dad, Rebecca and Bill), Grace was finally able to “YELP.” She was able to make her little voice heard. Her little voice said; “ I AM” 
I am a Daughter. I am a Sister. I am a Granddaughter. I am a Niece. I am a Goddaughter. I am a Cousin. I am Loved. I am Purity. I am a child of God. I am a Miracle. I am Life. I Exist. I Breath. I Feel. I Love. George Bailey was given a great gift. He was able to see how the world would have been as if he had never lived. This is a gift I wish we all could have. Words cannot express what the world would be like without each of us. We are all connected. Our fingerprints are intertwined. As Father Kevin stated "Our understanding is not like His. His ways are not our ways. His time is not our time." God always has a plan. God knows Grace lives on in each of us. Grace has had a Wonderful Life."

3 comments:

Moira Murphy said...

Beautiful. What a powerful witness to life the extended Donaghy family continues to give--thank you for the blessings you share with a hungry world. As she takes her place among the angels and saints may Grace Elizabeth carry on in eternity the ministry of interceding on behalf of all unborn children, that they too may experience the gift of birth and Baptism into the life of Christ.

The Heart of Things said...

Moira, thanks so much for the love, support, and compassion shown by you and your family!

Anonymous said...

Some have asked if I'm related to St. Therese. "I hope so." But to KNOW you're the parents of a saint (or many) ... that's wonderfully mind-boggling. I'm very sad for your loss of little Grace, and very hopeful for your joyful unity now in our Eucharistic Lord, and in Heaven, and for her prayers for your family as long as this life endures.
In Christ's peace... Jeannie

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...