Monday, February 23, 2009

The Sway, the Truth, and the Life

I think when Future Bill looks back on the small number of posts that went up for January and February of 2009, he'll be smiling. Smiling because every long stretch of postless days meant the time was wasted on his family. Yes! Wasted. Spilled out like a precious ointment on the feet of his beloved wife and son! Those were the days of grace; of Grace, and the Boy Wonder to be exact. I've written before about the mysterious powers that a child unlocks in a father's heart, powers that lay dormant like seeds awaiting the water of life. Well, they keep coming. I feel like the Greatest American Hero, Ralph Hinkley. Remember that show? In the series, he was given a "super suit" but lost the Instruction Manual in the desert. The series moved along and Ralph just had to discover how it all worked. Some episodes had him getting the knack of flying down a bit better, one show had him learn how to become invisible. Pretty cool stuff. I've already mastered invisibility.... it's called "peekaboo!" Yes, every day is an adventure, and every day Rebecca and I are absolutely blown away by the mystery of this little boy. We're captivated by his smile, the way his face lights up when we look at him, when I come home from work, when he looks around at Sunday Mass at all the faces, and the stained glass, and the marble columns. And how his eyes flash at the sound of the altar bells when Jesus is coming. A few weeks back, at Mass, I was holding the wee lad, and found myself... swaying. Finally, swaying. Ahead of me, a young couple stood, friends of ours, each holding a child, and swaying. And ahead of them, yet another woman, swaying. Like a forest of trees caught up in a great wind, there we were. Mommies and daddies, caught up in the Wind of the Spirit of Life. For years this sight caused a deep pain in our hearts, and now suddenly, we've entered into the Dance... into the Sway, the Truth, and the Life that God wishes all of us to enjoy. It gives me pause to consider those still waiting, still hoping for the gift of children or of the gift of a spouse to build a life with, and to share a life with too. These are words and experiences to deep for tears. All I can do is hold and treasure this life, appreciating the utter gratuitousness of it all. Everything is a gift, everything is a grace. The way to begin healing the wounds of the world is to treasure the Infant Christ in us; to be not the castle but the cradle of Christ; and, in rocking that cradle to the rhythm of love, to swing the whole world back into the beat of the Music of Eternal Life. - Caryll Houselander

4 comments:

Uncle Billy said...

You hit it right on the head!! It's all Grace...every last drop.Sway and sway....rock to "The Rock". For us,the weaker sex,there is no greater vocation than being a Father.I know.....I've swayed a time or two with two great wee boys,now granted the grace of Fatherhood...and swayin with the best of them. Pax tecum

Anonymous said...

I still sway in church and my youngest is 11! I often find myself doing this and it seems like this artefact of my motherhood days will quite never leave.
I expect someday I'll be swaying with my grandchidren!

Anonymous said...

Ahh, the sway. Soon you will sway when you see any baby, not just your own. You also do not have to be holding them to sawy, just the nearness and the thought of holding them will cause this wonderful action. If you are lucky, the feeling will never go away. Trey and I still sway when we see babies. It is a s-way of life! God Bless!

Peace!
Wendy

Daddio said...

Beautiful post!

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...