Friday, February 15, 2008

Down by the Water

Thanks to the generosity of a friend of Reb's, we're by the sea, in Avalon, as we were a year ago this time. And it's beautiful: quiet, empty streets, soft, salty breeze, and a massive, billowing, breathing ocean so close it's ominous. Beautifully ominous.

So I walked this morning by the sea, and took this picture with the sweet new Blackberry phone, camera, web browser, electric shaver device I recently purchased (and I hope this pic shows up for you). I love the solitude of Avalon in February! Time for deep thoughts as deep as the sea itself. Here's a little Wordsworth I always remember in the face of this majesty:

"It is a beauteous evening, calm and free; The holy time is quiet as a nun Breathless with adoration; the broad sun Is sinking down in its tranquillity; The gentleness of heaven is on the sea: Listen! the mighty Being is awake, And doth with his eternal motion make A sound like thunder -everlastingly. Dear child! dear girl! that walkest with me here, If thou appear untouched by solemn thought Thy nature is not therefore less divine: Thou liest in Abraham's bosom all the year, And worshipp'st at the Temple's inner shrine, God being with thee when we know it not."

- William Wordsworth, By the Sea




Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless handheld

No comments:

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...