Friday, March 07, 2014

The Father and the Son

Well, there it is. Day 2 of the 40 Days of Blogging began with a few sips of coffee, the daily readings (which are especially powerful today) and a sudden creaking door. A squinty-eyed boy appeared in the hall, roughly 5:04am Eastern Standard Time. He quickly dressed himself for school, then sat curled up in my lap (between the hot coffee and the iPad). Ah the best laid schemes of mice and men....

When I explained what I was up to, he said I should tell you all this: "God, we need to be more interested in You. We don't need to be doing other stuff. But you are the Son of God. You can do anything you want!"
- Seth, age 5

Perhaps I should stop there. Out of the mouths of babes...

After his words of wisdom, he snuggled deeper in. I realized what a gift the whole moment was, and this thought hit me (thanks Holy Spirit)...

"Seth, do you know what prayer is?"
"What daddy?"
"Just this, me holding you is prayer. Prayer is letting God hold us just like this. We don't even have to say anything."

And he didn't. Thank you Jesus. 

"The ultimate purpose of mission is to enable people to share in the communion which exists between the Father and the Son."
- Blessed John Paul II, Redemptoris Missio, 23

______________________________________________
PS - The Boy picked the above image of JPII for you too. 

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Oh, how I love this!

Your comment to Seth about prayer reminds me of this quote from Blessed Mother Teresa:
"Prayer is not asking. Prayer is putting oneself in the hands of God, at His disposition and listening to His voice in the depths of our hearts."

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...