Now New Jersey, as we all know, gets a bad rap in the movies and is often stereotyped in jokes. We don't mind the sarcasm; it just makes us stronger! Little does the world know that we have much to be proud of! Including hundreds of strip malls and Taco Bells! So here are some facts about the Garden State that (might?) amaze you!
- New Jersey is a peninsula.
- Highlands, New Jersey has the highest elevation along the entire eastern seaboard, from Maine to Florida.
- New Jersey has more race horses than Kentucky.
- New Jersey has more Cubans in Union City (1 sq. mi.) than Havana, Cuba.
- New Jersey has the most diners in the world and is sometimes referred to as the Diner Capital of the World.
- North Jersey has the most shopping malls in one area in the world, with seven major shopping malls in a 25 square mile radius.
- New Jersey is home to the Statue of Liberty and Ellis Island (yes, it is)
- Two-thirds of the world's eggplants are grown in New Jersey.
- Jersey tomatoes are known the world over as being the best you can buy.
- New Jersey is the world leader in blueberry and cranberry production.
- Here's to New Jersey-the toast of the country! In 1642, the first brewery in America opened in Hoboken.
- New Jersey rocks! The famous Les Paul invented the first solid body electric guitar in Mahwah in 1940.
- The light bulb, phonograph (record player), and motion picture projector were invented by Thomas Edison in his Menlo Park, NJ laboratory. We also boast the first town ever lit by incandescent bulbs.
- The first seaplane was built in Keyport, NJ.
- The first phonograph records were made in Camden, NJ.
- The first Drive-in Movie theater was opened in Camden, NJ.
- The first radio station and broadcast was in Paterson, NJ.
- and finally, the following are all New Jersey natives: Jack Nicholson, Bruce Springsteen, Bon Jovi, Jason Alexander, Queen Latifa, Susan Sarandon, Connie Francis, Shaq, Judy Blume, Aaron Burr, Joan Robertson, Ken Kross, Dionne Warwick, Sarah Vaughn, Budd Abbott, Lou Costello, and I'll stop there!
Yeah for NJ! Let's get to the mall!