Monday, July 13, 2009

Daddy's Here.... Mommy's Here!

Our son is teething, which is the adult equivalent of having your skeleton slowly pulled to the outside of your body over a period of months. Needless to say, I'm glad I have no recollection of this happening to me. Perhaps this is why most of our first memories only go back to say, our 4th or 5th year of life.
So teething makes for some looong nights for all of us, especially mommy, who continues to amaze me with her lightning fast tenderness and penchant for turning anything into a soothing melody. We dole out lots of whispered songs and stories, walks down the hall and back again, and heartfelt assurances that "Mommy's here" and "Daddy's here." What else can we say?
We could try something like: "Listen little one, you're getting your teeth. You're going to love them! They will help you chew up your food. You'll be able to eat lots of new things with your teeth, things you couldn't eat before. Your teeth will help you talk to mommy and daddy and ask them all sorts of things because your teeth will work with your tongue to form words. And your teeth will bring a whole new gift to the world; your smile! It will be a way to let others know you are happy to see them or that something gives you joy. Teeth are a great gift! Trust me... it's going to be OK.... Daddy's here with you!"
And he would respond with something like: "AAAAAAAGHAHGHHGRR?#@!?WW"
I think we Big People can learn a little something about suffering from all of this pain our little ones go through. After all, I'm discovering that God the Father has written countless lessons for me right in the flesh and blood book of my family life.
"Everything speaks to me."
Don't we cry too in our moments of "spiritual" teething? We cry our, "God, why did such and such have to happen? Why didn't You stop this or that from happening? Why is there evil in the world? Why do the innocent suffer? And what is this painful longing and this aching thirst in me that I can never seem to quench in this world?"
The Father could try saying something like: "Listen little ones, you're getting your heart. You're going to love it! It will help you chew up the food of your experiences. You'll be able to taste lots of new things with your heart, things you couldn't swallow before. Your heart will help you talk to Daddy and Mommy and ask them all sorts of things because your heart will work with your mind to form words. And your heart will bring a whole new gift to the world; your spirit! It will be a way to let others know you are happy to see them or that something gives you joy. The heart is a great gift! Trust me... it's going to be OK.... Daddy's here with you!"
How do we respond to a Word like that?

3 comments:

uncle billy said...

We say AMEN

Father of eight in NJ said...

I also received an early lesson from a teething child. I had prayed that my daughter would be quiet, and almost immediately God convicted me that my primary motivation was that I wouldn't be disturbed, rather than that she would be consoled. Purity of intention is so very important!

The Heart of Things said...

thanks for that comment.... it's so true. We have to always ask the why behind the what we are praying for. Thank you!

Talking to Your Little Ones About the Big Topic of Sex

A much repeated sentence we hear at our Theology of the Body retreats and courses is "I wish I heard this when I was younger!" ...